Overpriced auto insurance can drain your personal savings and force you to prioritize other expenses. Comparison shopping is a great way to cut your insurance bill.
Companies like GEICO, Farmers Insurance and State Farm constantly bombard you with fancy advertisements and it is difficult to see through the cute green geckos and mayhem and find the best price available.
You should take the time to compare prices periodically because insurance rates fluctuate regularly. Even if you think you had the lowest price two years ago a different company probably has better rates today. You can find a lot of wrong information about auto insurance on the web, but I’m going to show you the easiest ways to find cheap auto insurance.
If you have car insurance now, you will most likely be able to save some money using this strategy. Choosing the best insurance company for you in Fresno is easy if you know what you’re doing. Nevertheless, California drivers benefit from understanding the methods companies use to market on the web and take advantage of how the system works.
Lower your Fresno Auto Insurance Rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that come into play when calculating the rates you pay for auto insurance. Knowing what influences your rates enables informed choices that may reward you with big savings.
The list below includes a partial list of the pieces auto insurance companies consider when setting rates.
- Your occupation can affect rates – Did you know that where you work can have an impact on rates? Jobs such as doctors, executives and dentists have the highest average rates attributed to job stress and long work hours. Other occupations such as farmers, historians and homemakers get better rates.
- Mature drivers pay less – More mature drivers are more responsible, tend to file fewer claims and tend to be better behind the wheel. Teenage drivers are statistically proven to be more careless when driving therefore auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Performance level impacts rates – The type of car you own makes a big difference in how high your rates are. The most favorable rates are usually for economy passenger cars, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- Don’t get talked into coverage you don’t need – There are quite a few extra bells and whistles that you can buy on your auto insurance policy. Coverages like roadside assistance, towing coverage and motor club memberships are examples of these. These coverages may sound good at first, but if you don’t need them get rid of them and save.
- Liability insurance protects assets – Liability coverage provides coverage in the event that you are found liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Liability provides you with a defense in court which can be incredibly expensive. Liability is cheap when compared with rates for comp and collision, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Having a spouse can save you money – Having a spouse helps lower the price on your policy. Having a significant other means you’re more mature and responsible and it’s statistically proven that married couples file fewer claims.
- One company can mean more discounts – Most insurers give discounts to customers who consolidate policies with them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can add up to five, ten or even twenty percent. If you currently are using one company, it’s still a good idea to comparison shop to ensure the best deal. You may still be able to find a better deal by buying auto insurance from a different company.
- Higher safety ratings means cheaper insurance – Safer cars tend to have better insurance rates. Safe vehicles protect occupants better and any reduction in injury severity means less money paid by your insurance company passed on to you as lower rates.
Discounts are available to cut your rates
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but there could be available discounts to reduce the price significantly. Certain discounts will be applied at the time you complete a quote, but a few need to be specially asked for prior to getting the savings.
- Auto/Life Discount – Companies who offer life insurance give a break if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Multiple Vehicles – Having multiple vehicles with the same company can get a discount on all vehicles.
- No Charge for an Accident – Certain companies allow you one accident before your rates go up if your claims history is clear for a certain period of time.
- Discount for Good Grades – Performing well in school can earn a discount of 20% or more. The good student discount can last up until you turn 25.
- Federal Employees – Employees or retirees of the government may qualify you for a discount with a few auto insurance companies.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to use a seat belt could save 15% off the personal injury premium cost.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles with factory air bags can get savings of more than 20%.
- Anti-theft Discount – Anti-theft and alarm systems are stolen less frequently and will save you 10% or more.
Keep in mind that most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. Just because you may think having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies wouldn’t make money that way. Any amount of discount will bring down your overall premium however.
For a list of providers who offer auto insurance discounts in California, follow this link.
Everyone needs different coverages
When it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there is no perfect coverage plan. Each situation is unique so your insurance should reflect that These are some specific questions can aid in determining if your situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- Can I rate high risk drivers on liability-only vehicles?
- Should I buy only the required California minimum liability coverage?
- Does my vehicle qualify for pleasure use?
- What happens if I owe more than my vehicle is worth?
- Does liability extend to a camper or trailer?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
Additional information is located on the website for the California Department of Insurance through this link. California consumers can learn about insurance regulations, view a list of available companies, find out industry alerts, and find out which companies have the most complaints.
Other useful links include III.org’s auto insurance page and see this list of insurance agents in Fresno.
More quotes mean more savings
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of tips how to reduce auto insurance prices online. The key thing to remember is the more you quote, the better likelihood of reducing your rate. You may be surprised to find that the lowest premiums are with the least-expected company. These companies may have significantly lower rates on certain market segments than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate and Progressive.
As you restructure your insurance plan, don’t be tempted to buy poor coverage just to save money. There are many occasions where an insured dropped full coverage only to discover later they didn’t have enough coverage. Your focus should be to purchase plenty of coverage at an affordable rate.