Are you sick and tired of scraping the payment together each month for car insurance? You are no different than millions of other consumers. There are many auto insurance companies to choose from, and though it is a good thing to have a choice, lots of choices makes it harder to find the best rates for your vehicles.
Shopping for the best coverage in Aberdeen is not that difficult. If you have a current car insurance policy or are just looking to switch companies, you can learn to cut your premiums and still get good coverage. Maryland drivers just need to learn the proper way to get comparison rates over the internet.
Aberdeen Car Insurance Quote Comparison
Lowering your car insurance rates isn’t really that difficult. You just need to spend a few minutes getting comparison quotes from different insurance companies. This can be accomplished in several different ways.
- The recommended way to find the lowest comparison rates is to use a rate comparison form (click to open form in new window). This form saves time by eliminating separate quotes for each company you want a rate for. A single form compares rates from multiple low-cost companies.
- Another way to compare rate quotes requires you to visit each company’s website and request a quote. For examples sake, we’ll assume you want comparison quotes from GEICO, Farmers and Liberty Mutual. You would have to go to every website and enter your information, which is why most consumers use the first method. For a handy list of car insurance company links in Aberdeen, click here.
- The hardest way of comparing rate quotes is driving to and from local insurance agencies. The ability to buy insurance online has reduced the need for local agents unless you require the professional guidance of a licensed agent. It is possible to compare online quotes and get advice from an agent in your area and we’ll cover that in a bit.
However you get your quotes, compare the exact same coverage information for each price quote. If you enter different liability limits it’s not possible to determine the lowest rate in Aberdeen.
Components of your insurance rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for the different types of things that come into play when calculating car insurance rates. Understanding what determines base rates enables informed choices that can help you get better car insurance rates.
- Lower deductibles cost more – Insurance for physical damage to your car, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, is used to repair damage to your car. A few examples of covered claims are collision with another vehicle, vandalism, or theft. Your deductibles are how much you are required to spend before your car insurance pays a claim. The higher the amount you have to pay, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Please use or commuting – The higher the mileage driven every year the more you will pay for car insurance. Most companies rate vehicles determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars not used for work or commuting receive lower rates compared to those used for work or business. Ask your agent if your car insurance declarations sheet properly reflects the correct usage for each vehicle, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- A clean driving record saves money – Careful drivers receive lower rates than people who have multiple driving citations. Even a single ticket can boost insurance rates by as much as thirty percent. Drivers who get severe violations such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may be required to submit a SR-22 form with their state motor vehicle department in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- Lower rates with optional equipment – Driving a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention devices such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all hinder auto theft.
- Keep rates low by being claim-free – If you are a frequent claim filer, you can definitely plan on either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Auto insurance companies in Maryland award better rates to insureds who do not file claims often. Your insurance policy is intended for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Don’t sacrifice liability coverage – Liability insurance provides coverage if ever you are found liable for damages from an accident. It will provide for a legal defense starting from day one. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Your occupation can affect rates – Careers like judges, architects and dentists tend to pay the highest average rates due to high stress and long work days. Other occupations like farmers, historians and retirees have the lowest average rates.
- A lapse in coverage is a bad thing – Driving without insurance is against the law and your next policy will cost more because you let your coverage lapse. Not only will you pay more, but being ticketed for driving with no insurance might get you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.You may then be required to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Maryland DMV.
Discounts can save BIG
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but you can get discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Most are applied at quote time, but some may not be applied and must be requested specifically before you will receive the discount. If you aren’t receiving every discount you qualify for, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Safe Driver Discount – Insureds without accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than their less cautious counterparts.
- Paperwork-free – A handful of insurance companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks just for signing your application on their website.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Some companies give discounts for switching policies prior to your current policy expiring. The savings is around 10%.
- Save with a New Car – Putting insurance coverage on a new car can cost up to 25% less due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- Good Students Pay Less – A discount for being a good student can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. The discount lasts well after school through age 25.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking a course teaching defensive driving skills could possibly earn you a 5% discount if your company offers it.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems help deter theft and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Clubs and Organizations – Being a member of a professional or civic organization may earn a discount when buying car insurance.
- Multi-policy Discount – When you combine your home and auto insurance with one insurance company you may save approximately 10% to 15%.
- College Student – Any of your kids who are attending college without a vehicle on campus may be able to be covered for less.
A little note about advertised discounts, some credits don’t apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. Just because you may think all those discounts means the company will pay you, it just doesn’t work that way. Any amount of discount will bring down your overall premium however.
What is the best insurance coverage?
When it comes to choosing the right insurance coverage, there really is not a “best” method to buy coverage. Every insured’s situation is different so your insurance needs to address that. For instance, these questions may help you determine if your insurance needs would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- What are the financial responsibility laws in Maryland?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- Why is insurance for a teen driver so high in Aberdeen?
- Does my personal auto insurance policy cover using my vehicle for business use?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Does my liability insurance cover pulling a trailer or camper?
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can help protect your family.
What about using a local agent?
Some people would prefer to talk to a local agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Licensed agents can help determine the best coverages and help file insurance claims. One of the great benefits of comparing rates online is you may find the best rates and still choose a local agent. And supporting local agencies is important particularly in Aberdeen.
By using this simple form, your insurance data is submitted to agents in your area who will give you bids for your insurance coverage. There is no need to drive around due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to your email address. Now that’s easy!
Types of insurance agencies in Aberdeen
When researching a reliable agent, you need to know there are two types of insurance agents that you can select. Aberdeen agents are either captive or independent. While both can do a good job, but it’s worth learning how they differ since it can impact your selection of an agent.
Independent agencies are not employed by any specific company but rather can write business with any number of different companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If you are not satisfied with one company, your agent can switch companies and you won’t have to switch agencies.
When searching for an agent, you should always get quotes from at least one independent agent to ensure the widest selection of prices.
Below are Aberdeen independent agents that are able to give comparison quotes.
Hostetter Agency Inc – 206 W Bel Air Ave – Aberdeen, MD 21001 – (410) 272-6110
Sadera Insurance – 100 Custis St # 1 – Aberdeen, MD 21001 – (410) 272-5111
Wilson-Oliver Agency Inc – 301 W Bel Air Ave – Aberdeen, MD 21001 – (410) 272-2030
Mc Cool Insurance Inc – 33 N Philadelphia Blvd – Aberdeen, MD 21001 – (410) 272-1313
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive agents can only write with one company such as State Farm, Allstate and AAA. They generally cannot give you multiple price quotes so they have to upsell other benefits. Captive agencies are very knowledgeable on their company’s products which can be an advantage.
The following are Aberdeen captive insurance agents that can give you price quote information.
State Farm Insurance – 645 W Bel Air Ave – Aberdeen, MD 21001 – (410) 272-4797
To view a complete directory of captive insurance agents in Aberdeen, click here to link.
Picking a car insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price. These are valid questions to ask:
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Maryland?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
After getting good answers to any questions you have in addition to an acceptable price estimate, you have narrowed it down to an insurance agent that can adequately provide car insurance.
One last thing
Lower-priced car insurance is available online in addition to many Aberdeen insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance companies do not provide online price quotes and these small insurance companies work with independent agents.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s very important that you do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. Too many times, someone dropped liability limits or collision coverage only to regret at claim time that it was a big error on their part. Your goal should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best price while still protecting your assets.
Additional information is located on the website for the Maryland Insurance Administration located here. Consumers can discover disciplinary actions, read industry bulletins, view agent and company licensing information, and find disaster information.
The articles below may also help you learn more about car insurance in Aberdeen