If price shopping car insurance online is new to you, it’s easy to get confused by the sheer number of online companies all offering big savings in Sulphur.
Lower your Sulphur Car Insurance Rates
It’s important that you understand the factors that help determine car insurance rates. Understanding what impacts premium levels allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with big savings.
The following are a few of the “ingredients” companies use to determine rates.
- Keep rates low by being claim-free – If you tend to file frequent claims, you can expect either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Companies in Louisiana award cheaper rates to policyholders who do not file claims often. Auto insurance is intended for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Consolidate policies to earn discounts – Some insurance companies provide better rates to customers who have multiple policies with them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can add up to 10 percent or more. Even with this discount, you may still want to comparison shop to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible. Drivers may still find a better deal by splitting coverages up.
- Lower rates come with age – Youthful drivers in Louisiana tend to get distracted easily when behind the wheel so they pay higher car insurance rates. Older insureds are more responsible, file fewer claims and receive fewer citations.
- Rural vs Urban Areas – Living in a small town can save you money when it comes to car insurance. Fewer drivers means a lower chance of having an accident and a lower car theft rate. Urban drivers have to deal with traffic congestion and a longer drive to work. More time on the road can result in more accidents.
- Allowing your policy to lapse raises rates – Driving your car without having proper coverage is illegal and car insurance companies will penalize you for letting your coverage lapse. Not only will you pay more, but not being able to provide proof of insurance will get you a revoked license or a big fine.
- Rates may be higher depending on your occupation – Occupations such as judges, executives and dentists tend to pay the highest average rates attributed to high stress levels and lengthy work days. Other occupations like pilots, historians and retirees have the lowest average rates.
- Bump up deductibles to save – Physical damage deductibles define the amount you are required to spend in the event of a claim. Physical damage coverage, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, insures against damage to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply would be running into the backend of another car, damage caused by hail, or theft. The more money you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Choose a safe vehicle and save – Safer cars can get you lower premiums. The safest vehicles have better occupant injury protection and fewer injuries translates into savings for insurance companies passed on to you as lower rates.
Do you qualify for discounts?
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, buy you may qualify for discounts to cut the cost considerably. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time of quoting, but a few must be asked about prior to receiving the credit.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Insureds without accidents may receive a discount up to 45% less than less cautious drivers.
- Federal Government Employee – Active or retired federal employment may qualify you for a discount with a few car insurance companies.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can reduce accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Multiple Cars – Insuring all your vehicles on one policy qualifies for this discount.
- Early Signing – A few companies offer discounts for buying a policy before your current expiration date. This can save 10% or more.
- Pay Upfront and Save – By paying your policy upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you may reduce your total bill.
It’s important to note that some of the credits will not apply the the whole policy. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So even though they make it sound like all those discounts means the company will pay you, you’re out of luck. Any amount of discount will cut your premiums.
Ads can be misleading
Allstate and Progressive consistently run ads on TV and radio. All the companies have a common claim that you’ll save big if you change your policy. How can each company claim to save you money?
All companies can use profiling for the right customer they prefer to insure. An example of a preferred risk might be between 25 and 40, has no driving citations, and has a short commute. A customer getting a price quote who matches those parameters will qualify for the lowest rates and is almost guaranteed to cut their rates substantially.
Potential insureds who fall outside the “perfect” profile will have to pay higher premiums and this can result in business not being written. Company advertisements say “people who switch” not “everybody who quotes” save money. That’s why companies can truthfully make the claims of big savings.
Because of the profiling, it is so important to quote coverage with many companies. It’s impossible to know which company will fit your personal profile best.
Additional information is located on the Louisiana Department of Insurance website through this link. Louisiana consumers can discover disciplinary actions, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, find out industry alerts, and report car insurance fraud.
Do the work, save more money
You just read many ways to compare car insurance prices online. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better likelihood of reducing your rate. You may even discover the most savings is with a small mutual company.
As you shop your coverage around, you should never reduce coverage to reduce premium. Too many times, consumers will sacrifice comprehensive coverage or liability limits and found out when filing a claim they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your aim should be to find the BEST coverage at a price you can afford.
Cheaper car insurance can be sourced from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Sulphur agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best selection. Some insurance providers may not provide you the ability to get quotes online and these smaller companies work with independent agents.