If price shopping auto insurance online is new to you, you may be confused by the large number of auto insurance companies competing for business in Boston.
Comprehensive Boston Auto Insurance Comparison Quotes
Performing a rate comparison can be exhausting if you don’t utilize the best way to get rate quotes. You could spend your day talking about coverages with insurance companies in Boston, or you can utilize the web to get rate comparisons in just a few minutes.
Many companies participate in an industry program where insurance shoppers complete one form, and each company provides a quote. This saves time by eliminating quotation requests for every auto insurance company.
To get comparison pricing now click here to start a free quote.
The only drawback to pricing coverage this way is that consumers can’t choose the insurers to get quotes from. If you wish to select from a list of companies to request quotes from, we have a listing of low cost auto insurance companies in Massachusetts. Click to view list.
Whichever way you use, make darn sure you compare apples-to-apples information with each company. If you are comparing unequal deductibles or liability limits it will be impossible to truly determine the cheapest auto insurance rates in Boston. Just a small difference in limits could mean much higher rates. And when comparing auto insurance rates, know that more quotes will enable you to find a better price.
Be sure to get all your discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but you can get discounts that you may not know about. Most are applied when you quote, but less common discounts must be specially asked for before you will receive the discount.
- New Car Discount – Insuring a new car can cost up to 25% less compared to insuring an older model.
- Good Student Discount – Performing well in school can save 20 to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you until age 25.
- Employee of Federal Government – Employees or retirees of the government can earn a discount up to 10% with a few auto insurance companies.
- Accident Free – Drivers who don’t have accidents can earn big discounts when compared to accident-prone drivers.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying insurance for more than one vehicle on one policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Own a Home – Simply owning a home can save you money because owning a home shows financial diligence.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with one company you may earn 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Select insurance companies reward you with a break if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Safe Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than drivers with accident claims.
Drivers should understand that most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. So even though they make it sound like all those discounts means the company will pay you, you won’t be that lucky. But any discount will cut your premiums.
To see a list of insurance companies with discount auto insurance rates in Boston, follow this link.
Why you might pay higher rates in Boston
Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the elements that come into play when calculating your auto insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get better auto insurance rates.
- Low deductibles can be expensive – Deductibles for physical damage define the amount you are required to spend before your auto insurance pays a claim. Physical damage coverage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, insures against damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered are running into the backend of another car, damage caused by hail, and windstorm damage. The more money the insured has to pay upfront, the less your auto insurance will be.
- Older drivers save more – Young drivers in Massachusetts have a tendency to be less responsible when behind the wheel so auto insurance rates are higher. Older insureds tend to be more responsible, file fewer claims and get fewer tickets.
- Your car’s features help determine rates – Choosing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can help bring down rates. Anti-theft devices like GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers can thwart your car from being stolen.
- Being married can save on auto insurance – Having a spouse can get you a discount on auto insurance. Marriage means you’re more mature and responsible and it’s proven that being married results in fewer claims.
- Never let your coverage lapse – Having an insurance coverage lapse is a sure-fire way to pay more for auto insurance. And not only will insurance be more expensive, but not being able to provide proof of insurance can result in a steep fine or even jail time.You may have to file a SR-22 with the Massachusetts motor vehicle department.
- High crash test scores lower rates – Safer cars tend to have better insurance rates. These vehicles result in less severe injuries and any reduction in injury severity translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and more competitive rates for policyholders.
- High numbers of claims are not good – Car insurance companies in Massachusetts generally give lower rates to people who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can expect either higher rates or even cancellation. Your insurance policy is intended to be relied upon for larger claims.
- Your job and insurance rates – Occupations like doctors, social workers and dentists tend to pay the highest average rates in part from job stress and lots of time spent at work. Other professions such as scientists, historians and retirees have the lowest average rates.
Additional auto insurance information is available on the Massachusetts Division of Insurance website located here. Massachusetts consumers can read consumer alerts, get help finding coverage, file complaints about a company, and learn about insurance regulations.
And the best car insurance company is…
Budget-conscious auto insurance can be found online as well as from independent agents in Boston, and you need to price shop both so you have a total pricing picture. Some auto insurance companies don’t offer the ability to get a quote online and many times these smaller companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
In this article, we presented a lot of information how to compare auto insurance prices online. It’s most important to understand that the more providers you compare, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may be surprised to find that the most savings is with a smaller regional carrier.
People leave their current company for any number of reasons including policy cancellation, delays in paying claims, an unsatisfactory settlement offer or high rates after DUI convictions. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch finding a new auto insurance company is actually quite simple.