Consumers not familiar with comparing rates online will find shopping for the cheapest Manhattan auto insurance is harder than they anticipated.
Smart Buyers can Save Money
It’s important that you understand the different types of things that help determine your auto insurance rates. Knowing what determines base rates allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to lower auto insurance prices.
- Your location affects your rates – Being located in small towns and rural areas can be a good thing when it comes to auto insurance. Less people living in that area means fewer accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. Drivers who live in large Kansas cities have to deal with much more traffic to deal with and much longer commute distances. More time on the road translates into higher accident risk.
- Women pay lower rates – Statistics have proven women tend to be less risk to insure than men. Now that doesn’t mean men are worse drivers. Both sexes cause accidents in similar percentages, but the male of the species tend to have more serious accidents. Men also tend to get cited for more serious violations like DUI and reckless driving.
- Equipment add-ons that lower auto insurance rates – Purchasing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft features such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all aid in stopping your car from being stolen.
- Bump up deductibles to save – Physical damage deductibles define the amount you are willing to pay out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. Physical damage coverage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, insures against damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered could be running into the backend of another car, damage from fire, and burglary. The more money the insured has to pay upfront, the lower your rates will be.
- Cautious drivers pay less – Your driving record has a huge affect on how much you pay. Even a single citation can bump up the cost by as much as thirty percent. Drivers who don’t get tickets receive lower rates than people who have multiple driving citations. Drivers who get severe violations like DUI or reckless driving may be required to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state DMV in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- Do you have enough liability coverage? – The liability section of your policy is the coverage that protects you when a jury decides you are liable for damages caused by your negligence. Liability insurance provides you with a defense in court which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Pay less after the wedding – Getting married helps lower the price on your auto insurance policy. Having a significant other means you’re more mature than a single person and statistics show married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Your age impacts your rates – Young drivers in Kansas are known to be careless and easily distracted in a vehicle so they pay higher auto insurance rates. Mature drivers are more cautious drivers, tend to cause fewer accidents and are safer drivers.
Companies offer discounts so take them!
Car insurance can cost a lot, but you may find discounts that you may not know about. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you quote, but some must be specifically requested prior to getting the savings. If they aren’t giving you every credit you deserve, you are paying more than you should be.
- Good Student – Getting good grades can get you a discount of up to 25%. The good student discount can last up to age 25.
- Accident Waiver – A few companies will allow you to have one accident before hitting you with a surcharge if you are claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Sign Early and Save – Select companies give a discount for switching policies prior to your current policy expiring. It can save you around 10%.
- Seat Belts Save – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts can save up to 15% off your medical payments premium.
- Club Memberships – Belonging to a qualifying organization is a good way to get lower rates when buying auto insurance.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Vehicles with anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Driver’s Ed – Have your child take driver’s ed class if it’s offered in school.
- 55 and Retired – If you’re over the age of 55, you may be able to get reduced rates.
It’s important to note that many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. Even though it may seem like you could get a free auto insurance policy, you’re out of luck. Any qualifying discounts will bring down your overall premium however.
Are insurance agents a thing of the past?
Certain consumers just want to sit down with an agent. Agents can point out coverage gaps and give you someone to call. One of the great benefits of getting online price quotes is the fact that you can find the best rates and still choose a local agent. Buying from local insurance agencies is definitely important in Manhattan.
For easy comparison, once you complete this short form, your information is sent to insurance agents in Manhattan who will compete for your business. There is no need to leave your computer because quoted prices will be sent straight to your inbox. It doesn’t get any easier!
The type of car insurance agent you choose is important
When finding a good insurance agency, you need to know there are two different agency structures that you can select. Manhattan agents are categorized either independent or captive. Both do a good job, but it’s worth learning how they are different because it can influence your selection of an agent.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agencies do not work for one specific company but rather can write business with any number of different companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If your agent finds better pricing, the business is moved internally and you don’t have to find a new agent.
When comparing rates, you should always include at a minimum one independent agency to get the best comparison. They also have the ability to place coverage with smaller companies which can be an advantage.
Below is a list of independent agencies in Manhattan that may be able to provide pricing information.
- Charlson and Wilson Insurance – 555 Poyntz Ave # 205 – Manhattan, KS 66502 – (785) 537-1600
- Terry Voos Agency – 3250 Kimball Ave – Manhattan, KS 66503 – (785) 539-0546
- Tim Engle Agency Inc – 3320 Anderson Ave – Manhattan, KS 66503 – (785) 539-9200
- Nordgen Insurance – 421 Valley Dr – Manhattan, KS 66502 – (785) 539-8735
- Jim Feeney Agency Inc – 1601 Poyntz Ave – Manhattan, KS 66502 – (785) 776-4518
This type of agents work for only one company and some examples include Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. They generally cannot compare other company’s rates so they have to upsell other benefits. Captives receive extensive training on their products and sales techniques and that can be a competitive advantage. Consumers sometimes buy from captive agents mainly due to the prominence of the brand and strong financial ratings.
The following are captive agents in Manhattan that can give you price quotes.
- Shelter Insurance – 205 S Seth Child Rd # A – Manhattan, KS 66502 – (785) 776-7751
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 2630 Farm Bureau Rd – Manhattan, KS 66502 – (785) 537-0339
- State Farm Insurance – 2801 Claflin Rd – Manhattan, KS 66502 – (785) 776-7220
- Allstate Insurance – 527 Fort Riley Blvd – Manhattan, KS 66502 – (785) 537-4101
- Farmers Insurance Group – 1115 Westport Dr – Manhattan, KS 66502 – (785) 776-4588
- American Family Insurance – 1112 Laramie St – Manhattan, KS 66502 – (785) 587-0801
For a complete listing of captive insurance agents in Manhattan, please view this page.
Deciding on a car insurance agent should depend on more than just the premium amount. These are valid questions to ask:
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Ommissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
- How long has their agency been in business in Manhattan?
Upon getting good answers to these questions and a low price estimate, it’s possible that you found a car insurance agent that meets your needs to properly insure your vehicles.
Your personal situation dictates your coverage
When it comes to buying coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a “best” method to buy coverage. Every insured’s situation is different.
For example, these questions could help you determine if you might need professional guidance.
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- What happens if I owe more than my vehicle is worth?
- Does my vehicle qualify for pleasure use?
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- Does my personal policy cover me when driving my company car?
- What is the minimum liability in Kansas?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
If you can’t answer these questions, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form. It only takes a few minutes and can provide invaluable advice.
Additional information can be found on the Kansas Insurance Department website located here. Kansas consumers can view agent and company licensing information, report car insurance fraud, and read state legal mandates and laws.
A little work can save a LOT of money
Discount auto insurance can be purchased on the web and with local Manhattan insurance agents, so you should compare both to have the best rate selection. A few companies do not offer online quoting and usually these small, regional companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
When buying insurance coverage, you should never skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many situations where an insured dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your goal should be to purchase plenty of coverage at an affordable rate.
You just learned many tips how you can reduce auto insurance prices online. It’s most important to understand that the more you quote, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even discover the most savings is with the least-expected company.