Saving money on Natchitoches auto insurance can seem to be difficult for consumers new to comparison shopping online. You have so many companies to choose from that it can quickly become a real hassle to locate the lowest price in Natchitoches.
It is always a good idea to price shop coverage yearly since insurance rates are rarely the same from one policy term to another. Even if you got the lowest rates a few years ago you may be paying too much now. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about auto insurance because I’m going to let you in on the secrets to the right way to properly buy coverages while reducing your premium.
Be sure to get all your discounts
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, buy you may qualify for discounts that you may not even be aware of. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at quote time, but some may not be applied and must be specially asked for before being credited.
- Safe Driver Discount – Insureds without accidents may receive a discount up to 45% less than drivers with accident claims.
- Early Switch Discount – A few companies offer discounts for signing up prior to your current policy expiring. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Defensive Driving Course – Successfully completing a course in driver safety could cut 5% off your bill depending on where you live.
- Employee of Federal Government – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can earn a discount up to 10% with a few auto insurance companies.
- Drivers Education – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to successfully complete driver’s ed class in school.
- One Accident Forgiven – Certain companies will allow you to have one accident before your rates go up so long as you haven’t had any claims for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Senior Citizens – Older drivers may be able to get a discount up to 10%.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Fewer annual miles could qualify for better rates on cars that stay parked.
- Payment Discounts – If paying your policy premium upfront rather than paying monthly you could save up to 5%.
- Save with a New Car – Adding a new car to your policy can save up to 30% because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
As a disclaimer on discounts, some credits don’t apply the the whole policy. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. Even though it may seem like adding up those discounts means a free policy, you’re out of luck. Any qualifying discounts will reduce the amount you have to pay.
Informed Drivers can Cut Their Rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that play a part in calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. Knowing what determines base rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in much lower annual insurance costs.
Shown below are a partial list of the pieces used by your company to calculate premiums.
- Better crash test results mean better rates – Safer cars tend to have better insurance rates. Safe vehicles result in less severe injuries and fewer injuries translates into savings for insurance companies and lower rates for you.
- Cautious drivers pay less – Even a single ticket may increase your cost forty percent or more. Drivers with clean records have lower premiums compared to drivers with tickets. Drivers who get flagrant violations such as hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may be required to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with the DMV in their state in order to keep their license.
- Is your vehicle built for speed? – The performance level of the vehicle you are insuring makes a substantial difference in your rates. Economy passenger models usually have the lowest rates, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- Being married can save on auto insurance – Having a spouse can actually save you money on auto insurance. It translates into being more mature than a single person and statistics show being married results in fewer claims.
- How many coverages with the same company – Many insurers provide better rates to customers who buy several policies from them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. This can amount to five, ten or even twenty percent. Even with this discount, it’s still a good idea to compare rates to verify if the discount is saving money.
- Optional equipment can affect rates – Purchasing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention devices such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system all aid in stopping car theft.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
When it comes to choosing coverage, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s situation is a little different.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help you determine if your situation would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- What is high-risk coverage and where do I buy it?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
- Can I rate high risk drivers on liability-only vehicles?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form.
Read more about Louisiana auto insurance
Much more information about auto insurance in Louisiana is located on the Louisiana Department of Insurance website located here. Louisiana consumers can file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, learn about specific coverages, get help finding coverage, and view agent and company licensing information.
Additional helpful sites include NAIC.org’s Understanding your Policy and this list of insurance agents in Natchitoches, LA.
A little work can save a LOT of money
We covered some good ideas how to save on auto insurance. The most important thing to understand is the more quotes you get, the better your comparison will be. Consumers may even find the best price on auto insurance is with the least-expected company.
Cheaper auto insurance is attainable from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Natchitoches agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance providers may not provide you the ability to get quotes online and many times these regional insurance providers only sell through independent insurance agents.
When you buy insurance online, it’s not a good idea to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many instances, an insured dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that they should have had better coverage. The proper strategy is to purchase plenty of coverage at a price you can afford while still protecting your assets.