I can’t think of a single person who looks forward to paying for auto insurance, particularly when they are paying too much. Many insurance companies vie to insure your vehicles, and it can be difficult to compare rates to get the cheapest price
It’s a good idea to shop coverage around once or twice a year since insurance rates are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. Despite the fact that you may have had the best price on your last policy there may be better deals available now. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because we’re going to demonstrate the fastest way to find great coverage at a great price.
If you are insured now or are just looking to switch companies, you can follow these tips to cut your premiums and still get good coverage. Finding affordable coverage in Chubbuck is quite easy. Idaho vehicle owners only need an understanding of the tricks to shop their coverage around on the web.
What determines how much you pay?
Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that go into determining the price you pay for auto insurance. Knowing what determines base rates helps enable you to make changes that can help you get better auto insurance rates.
Listed below are some of the factors that factor into your rates.
- Where do you drive? – The more miles you rack up on your car in a year’s time the higher your rate. Most insurance companies charge to insure your cars based on their usage. Autos left parked in the garage get more affordable rates than those used for commuting. Make sure your auto insurance policy is rated on how each vehicle is driven.
- Keep rates low by being claim-free – If you tend to file frequent claims, you can look forward to higher rates. Auto insurance companies in Idaho give discounts to insureds who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of larger claims.
- Your location affects your rates – Choosing to live in a small town has it’s advantages when buying auto insurance. City drivers tend to have congested traffic and longer commutes to work. Less people living in that area means reduced accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims.
- Bump up deductibles to save – Your deductibles define the amount you are willing to pay out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. Physical damage coverage, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, covers damage that occurs to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered would be running into the backend of another car, damage from fire, or theft. The more money the insured has to pay upfront, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Traffic violations increase rates – Whether or not you get tickets impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Only having one speeding ticket can boost insurance rates by twenty percent. Careful drivers have lower premiums than their less careful counterparts. Drivers with dangerous tickets such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence are required to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with the DMV in their state in order to prevent a license revocation.
- Do you know you’re credit rating? – Your credit score is a huge factor in determining your rates. So if your credit is lower than you’d like, you could be paying less to insure your by improving your credit score. Consumers who have high credit ratings tend to be less risk to insure than those with poor credit.
- Lower rates with optional equipment – Owning a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Anti-theft devices like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems can help prevent your vehicle from being stolen.
How to Get Auto Insurance in Chubbuck, ID
Reducing your insurance rates isn’t really that difficult. You just have to take time to compare rate quotes provided by online insurance companies. This is very easy and can be done in a couple of different ways.
- One of the simplest ways to compare a lot of rates at once would be an industry-wide quote request form click to view form in new window. This method saves time by eliminating separate forms for each company. Filling out one form will get you rate comparisons instantly.
- Another way to compare rate quotes requires visiting each individual company website to complete their respective quote request forms. For instance, let’s say you want comparison quotes from Allstate, Progressive and GMAC. To get each rate you have to spend time on each company’s site and enter your information, which is why the first method is more popular.
To view a list of companies in Chubbuck, click here.
Whichever method you choose, make darn sure you compare the exact same quote information for each comparison quote. If you use different values for each quote it’s not possible to determine the best price in Chubbuck.
Do you really save 40% when you switch?
Idaho consumers constantly see and hear ads for the lowest price auto insurance by companies like Progressive, Allstate and GEICO. They all seem to have a common claim that you can save if you change to them.
How can each company make almost identical claims?
All companies can use profiling for the driver that makes them money. A good example of a desirable insured might be profiled as between the ages of 40 and 55, is a homeowner, and has a high credit rating. A propective insured that hits that “sweet spot” is entitled to the best price and therefore will pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Drivers who don’t qualify for these standards will be charged higher premiums and ends up with the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ads say “drivers who switch” not “everyone that quotes” save that kind of money. That’s the way insurance companies can confidently advertise the way they do. That is why drivers should get a wide range of price quotes. Because you never know the company that will provide you with the cheapest rates.
These discounts can slash auto insurance rates
Auto insurance companies don’t list all their discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we researched both the well known and also the lesser-known savings tricks you should be using. If they aren’t giving you every credit you qualify for, you are paying more than you should be.
- One Accident Forgiven – Some insurance companies will allow you to have one accident before raising your premiums if you are claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Seat Belt Usage – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts can save 10% or more off the personal injury premium cost.
- Payment Discounts – If you pay your bill all at once instead of making monthly payments you can actually save on your bill.
- Safe Drivers – Insureds without accidents can pay as much as 50% less than less cautious drivers.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Buying coverage for multiple cars or trucks with the same company could earn a price break for each car.
- Student in College – Kids in college who live away from home and don’t have a car may qualify for this discount.
- New Car Discount – Insuring a new car can cost up to 25% less since new cars are generally safer.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Vehicles equipped with air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can get savings of more than 20%.
- Driver Safety – Completing a course teaching defensive driving skills could save 5% or more if your company offers it.
It’s important to note that some credits don’t apply the the whole policy. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. Just because it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, it doesn’t quite work that way.
For a list of providers with the best auto insurance discounts in Idaho, click here.
When might I need the advice of an agent?
When choosing the best auto insurance coverage for your vehicles, there is no one size fits all plan. Every insured’s situation is different so your insurance needs to address that. These are some specific questions might point out whether or not you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Do I pay less if my vehicle is kept in my garage?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- Can I afford to pay high deductible claims out of pocket?
- Who is covered when they drive my vehicle?
- Does coverage extend to a rental car in a foreign country?
- What discounts do I qualify for?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
- Is my babysitter covered when using my vehicle?
- When should I drop full coverage on my vehicle?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can help protect your family.
More tips and info about auto insurance can be read at the Idaho Department of Insurance website. Visitors are able to view agent and company licensing information, read consumer alerts, and discover disciplinary actions.
More comparisons equals lower rates
You just read many tips how you can shop for auto insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. Consumers could even find that the best prices are with some of the smallest insurance companies. Some small companies can often provide lower rates in certain areas than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm or Progressive.
As you shop your coverage around, make sure you don’t sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There have been many situations where someone sacrificed full coverage and found out when filing a claim that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your aim should be to buy enough coverage at a price you can afford while still protecting your assets.