If price shopping car insurance online is new to you, you can be overwhelmed by the hoards of companies competing for business in East Providence.
Finding cheaper car insurance in East Providence can be fairly easy. Essentially anyone who has to buy car insurance will more than likely be able to lower their premiums. But Rhode Island drivers do need to learn how companies market on the web and apply this information to your search.
Components of your insurance rates
It’s important that you understand the rating factors that help determine the rates you pay for car insurance. Understanding what determines base rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in lower car insurance prices.
- Extra add-on coverages are wasting money – There are a lot of add-on coverages that can waste your money on your policy. Insurance for vanishing deductibles, accident forgiveness and additional equipment coverage are some examples. They may seem good at first, but now you might not need them so eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Drive less and save money – The more you drive in a year’s time the more you will pay for car insurance. Most companies price each vehicle’s coverage based on how the vehicle is used. Vehicles used primarily for pleasure use get more affordable rates than those used for commuting. Double check that your car insurance policy shows the correct driver usage.
- Bad driving skills means higher rates – Good drivers tend to pay less for car insurance compared to drivers with tickets. Even a single ticket can increase rates by as much as thirty percent. Drivers who get flagrant violations like DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions may be required to file a SR-22 with their state motor vehicle department in order to keep their license.
- Protect your assets with liability insurance – Liability insurance is the protection when a court rules you are at fault for damages caused by your negligence. It will provide for a legal defense up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to physical damage coverage, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Bump up deductibles to save – Deductibles for physical damage represent how much money you are required to spend in the event of a claim. Physical damage coverage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, insures against damage to your car. A few examples of covered claims are colliding with a building, damage caused by hail, and windstorm damage. The more money you have to pay, the less your car insurance will be.
- Men pay higher rates – The statistics show that women are safer drivers than men. Now that doesn’t mean women are better drivers. Men and women have accidents at a similar rate, but the men tend to have more serious accidents. Men also statistically get more serious tickets such as DWI and reckless driving.
- Keep rates low by being claim-free – Car insurance companies in Rhode Island give better rates to policyholders who do not file claims often. If you file claims often, you can definitely plan on either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Auto insurance is designed for the large, substantial claims.
How to Compare Car Insurance Costs in East Providence
When shopping for car insurance there are multiple ways of comparing rate quotes from local in East Providencecar insurance companies. The best method to compare insurance prices consists of obtaining rate quotes online. This can be accomplished in a couple of different ways.
- The easiest and least time consuming way to get the best comparison quotes would be an industry-wide quote request form like this one (opens in new window). This method prevents you from having to do separate quote forms to each individual car insurance company. A single, simple form will return price quotes . It’s definitely the quickest method.
- A different way to analyze rates is going to each individual company website to complete their respective quote request forms. For instance, let’s say you want comparison quotes from Liberty Mutual, State Farm and GMAC. To find out each rate you need to take the time to go to each site and enter your policy data, which is why the first method is more popular. For a list of links to companies insuring cars in East Providence, click here.
Whichever way you use, ensure you’re using the exact same quote information for each price quote. If you are comparing unequal deductibles or liability limits it will be impossible to make an equal comparison in East Providence. Having just a slight variation in coverage limits could mean much higher rates. Just remember that comparing a large number of companies will enable you to find a lower rate.
Cut your car insurance rates with discounts
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but you can get discounts to help offset the cost. Some discounts apply automatically at quote time, but a few need to be specially asked for before you get the savings.
- No Charge for an Accident – A handful of insurance companies will allow you to have one accident without raising rates as long as you don’t have any claims prior to the accident.
- Own a Home – Owning a house in East Providence may earn you a small savings because of the fact that having a home demonstrates responsibility.
- E-sign – Some insurance companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks simply for signing on their website.
- No Claims – Claim-free drivers can save substantially as compared to accident-prone drivers.
- Government Employees – Active or retired federal employment can save as much as 8% with select insurance companies.
- Early Signing – Some insurance companies reward drivers for switching to them before your current expiration date. This can save 10% or more.
- Use Seat Belts – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts could cut 10% or more off your medical payments premium.
- Anti-theft System – Anti-theft and alarm systems are stolen less frequently and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
A little note about advertised discounts, most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So even though it sounds like all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way. But any discount will reduce your overall premium however.
To see a list of providers who offer car insurance discounts in East Providence, follow this link.
You are unique and your car insurance should be too
When buying adequate coverage, there really is not a cookie cutter policy. Everyone’s needs are different.
Here are some questions about coverages that might point out whether your personal situation could use an agent’s help.
- Should I put collision coverage on all my vehicles?
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
- How many claims can I have before being cancelled?
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
- Does my liability insurance cover pulling a trailer or camper?
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but a few of them apply then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form.
More information is located on the Rhode Island Division of Insurance Regulation website located here. Rhode Island drivers can download brochures, file complaints about a company, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, and learn about insurance regulations.
Compare but don’t skimp
When buying insurance coverage, it’s not a good idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many situations where an insured dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits and discovered at claim time they didn’t purchase enough coverage. The proper strategy is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at an affordable rate while not skimping on critical coverages.
We covered many tips how you can reduce car insurance prices online. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even discover the best prices are with a lesser-known regional company.
Insureds change insurance companies for any number of reasons including lack of trust in their agent, not issuing a premium refund, poor customer service and even being labeled a high risk driver. No matter why you want to switch, switching companies is less work than it seems.