I can’t think of a single person who looks forward to buying car insurance, particularly when they are paying too much.
Big companies like State Farm and GEICO constantly bombard you with catchy ads and it is difficult to sift through the bull and find the best price available.
If you have car insurance now, you should be able to reduce your rates substantially using this information. Finding affordable coverage in Hendersonville is not rocket science. Although Tennessee car owners should learn the way insurance companies sell insurance online and apply this information to your search.
Rate influencing factors
It’s important that you understand some of the elements that help determine car insurance rates. Understanding what determines base rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with big savings.
- Your location is important – Choosing to live in less populated areas can save you money when buying car insurance. Lower population means fewer accidents and a lower car theft rate. Drivers in populated Tennessee areas tend to have traffic congestion and much longer commute distances. Longer commute distances can result in more accidents.
- Small claims can cost you – Auto insurance companies in Tennessee provide better rates to insureds who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you frequently file small claims, you can expect either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Car insurance is designed for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Men are more aggressive – Statistics demonstrate that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. However, don’t assume that women are BETTER drivers than men. Women and men cause accidents at about the same rate, but the men cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also statistically get more serious tickets such as DWI and reckless driving.
- Drive a safer car and pay less – Safer cars tend to have better insurance rates. Safer cars have better occupant injury protection and fewer injuries means lower claim amounts and thus lower rates.
- Lower miles equals lower premium – The higher the mileage driven each year the higher your rates will be. Most companies rate vehicles based upon how you use the vehicle. Vehicles that are left in the garage receive lower rates compared to those used for work or business. Verify your car insurance declarations sheet is showing the correct usage for each vehicle, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Do you know your deductibles? – Coverage for physical damage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, is used to repair damage to your car. A few examples of covered claims would be a windshield shattered by a rock, damage caused by hail, and windstorm damage. Deductibles for physical damage are how much you are willing to pay out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. The more expense you have to pay, the less your car insurance will be.
Comparison of Car Insurance in Hendersonville, Tennessee
To find the best car insurance prices, there are several ways to compare quotes from different in Hendersonville, Tennesseeinsurance companies. The simplest method to find competitive insurance rates is to get quotes online. This can be accomplished in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- The single most time-saving way to compare a lot of rates at once would be an industry-wide quote request form like this one (opens in new window). This form saves time by eliminating separate quotes for each company. One form gets you price quotes from multiple companies.
- A slightly less efficient method to shop for car insurance online is to take the time to go to each company website to complete their respective quote request forms. For example, we’ll pretend you want to compare Farmers, Allstate and American Family. To find out each rate you need to spend time on each company’s site to input your insurance information, which is why the first method is quicker. For a list of links to insurance companies in Hendersonville, click here.
However you get your quotes, make sure you use the exact same coverages for every quote you compare. If you enter different deductibles you will not be able to determine the best price in Hendersonville. Just a small difference in coverage limits may result in large price differences. Just keep in mind that getting more free quotes will increase your chances of finding the best offered rates.
Discounts are available to cut your rates
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but there could be available discounts that you may not even be aware of. Some discounts apply automatically at the time of purchase, but less common discounts must be asked for before you get the savings.
- Early Switch Discount – A few companies offer discounts for switching to them prior to your current policy expiring. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Multiple Vehicles – Having multiple vehicles with the same company can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Accident Waiver – A handful of insurance companies will allow you to have one accident before raising your premiums so long as you haven’t had any claims prior to the accident.
- Federal Employees – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can save as much as 8% with a few car insurance companies.
- Payment Method – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of making monthly payments you may reduce your total bill.
- New Vehicle Savings – Insuring a new car can cost up to 25% less due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can receive discounts up to 30%.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Have your child take driver’s ed class if offered at their school.
Keep in mind that most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. Most only cut specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So despite the fact that it appears you could get a free car insurance policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way. Any amount of discount will help reduce the cost of coverage.
Everyone needs different coverages
When it comes to buying the right insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there is no cookie cutter policy. Everyone’s situation is a little different so your insurance should reflect that For example, these questions can help discover if your insurance needs may require specific advice.
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- Are my friends covered when driving my vehicle?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- How much liability coverage do I need in Tennessee?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
- Will my vehicle be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area.
More information is located on the website for the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance found here. Visitors are able to download brochures, report car insurance fraud, learn about insurance regulations, and find disaster information.
Other useful links include this resource for Tennessee car insurance prices and CarInsuranceDIY.com.
Smart consumers save more
When shopping online for car insurance, don’t be tempted to buy poor coverage just to save money. In too many instances, an insured cut physical damage coverage only to find out that it was a big error on their part. Your goal should be to get the best coverage possible for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.
The cheapest car insurance is definitely available on the web and with local Hendersonville insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers do not offer online price quotes and usually these small, regional companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
We just showed you a lot of tips how to reduce car insurance prices online. It’s most important to understand that the more providers you compare, the better your comparison will be. You may be surprised to find that the lowest priced car insurance comes from an unexpected company. Smaller companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost compared to the large companies like Progressive and GEICO.