I can’t think of a single person who looks forward to buying auto insurance, particularly when the price is too high.
Many insurance companies compete to insure your vehicles, so it can be very hard to choose a company to find the absolute lowest price
It’s important to take a look at other company’s rates before your policy renews because prices are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. Despite the fact that you may have had the best car insurance rates in Fort Wayne a few years ago there is a good chance you can find better rates now. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because I’m going to let you in on the secrets to the proper way to get good coverage at a lower rate.
If you currently have a car insurance policy, you stand a good chance to be able to lower your premiums substantially using these techniques. Choosing the best insurance company for you in Fort Wayne is easy if you know what you’re doing. Although Indiana consumers need to have an understanding of how insurance companies sell online and take advantage of how the system works.
How to Lower your Auto Insurance Rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the elements that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for auto insurance. Having a good understanding of what influences your rates enables informed choices that will entitle you to lower auto insurance prices.
Shown below are a partial list of the pieces auto insurance companies consider when setting prices.
- Extra add-on coverages are wasting money – There are quite a few additional coverages that you can buy on your auto insurance policy. Insurance for roadside assistance, towing coverage and motor club memberships are examples of these. They may seem like a good idea at first, but if you don’t need them eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Do you have a high stress job? – Did you know that where you work can have an impact on rates? Occupations such as judges, architects and dentists tend to have the highest average rates due to stressful work requirements and long work hours. Other occupations like scientists, historians and homemakers receive lower rates.
- Males pay more for insurance – The statistics show that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. However, this does not mean women are better drivers. Women and men tend to get into accidents in similar percentages, but the male of the species have costlier accidents. Men also tend to get more serious tickets such as reckless driving. Male drivers age 16 to 19 tend to get in the most accidents and thus pay the highest rates.
- What are your deductibles? – Deductibles for physical damage define the amount you are willing to pay out-of-pocket before your auto insurance pays a claim. Insurance for physical damage to your car, also known as collision and other-than-collision, covers damage that occurs to your car. Examples of covered claims are running into the backend of another car, damage from fire, and windstorm damage. The more expense you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- Your location affects your rates – Residing in a rural area can save you money when buying auto insurance. Drivers in populated areas tend to have traffic congestion and much longer commute distances. Fewer people means reduced accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft.
- Optional equipment can affect rates – Choosing a vehicle with an alarm system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention features such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems can thwart your vehicle from being stolen.
- Having a spouse can save you money – Having a wife or husband can get you a discount when buying auto insurance. Having a spouse translates into being more mature and responsible it has been statistically shown that married couples file fewer claims.
- Liability coverage protects you – Liability coverage is the coverage that protects you when you are found liable for personal injury or accident damage. Liability insurance provides legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. Liability insurance is quite affordable when compared with rates for comp and collision, so buy as much as you can afford.
How to Get Auto Insurance in Fort Wayne
To find the best auto insurance prices, there are several ways of comparing rate quotes from local in Fort Wayneauto insurance companies. The simplest method to compare insurance prices consists of obtaining rate quotes online. This can be done in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- The first (and easiest) way to find low rates is an all-inclusive rate comparison (click to open form in new window). This method prevents you from having to do separate quotes for each company. Just one form will return price quotes from several companies.
- A more difficult way to find lower rates is going to the website for each individual company and complete a new quote form. For instance, let’s assume you want rates from Farmers, 21st Century and GEICO. To find out each rate you need to go to every website and enter your information, which is why the first method is more popular. For a list of links to insurance companies in Fort Wayne, click here.
It’s up to you how you get prices quotes, just make darn sure you compare exactly the same coverage information for each comparison quote. If each company quotes different values for each quote it’s impossible to make a fair comparison in Fort Wayne. Just a small difference in limits can mean a large discrepancy in price. And when comparison shopping, obtaining a wide range of quotes helps you find the best rates.
Companies offer discounts so take them!
Car insurance is not cheap, but you can get discounts that can drop the cost substantially. A few discounts will automatically apply when you purchase, but some may not be applied and must be inquired about before being credited.
- Safe Driver Discount – Safe drivers can pay as much as 50% less than their less cautious counterparts.
- Homeowners Discount – Simply owning a home can save you money due to the fact that maintaining a home shows financial diligence.
- No Charge for an Accident – Certain companies will allow you to have one accident before raising your premiums so long as you haven’t had any claims for a certain period of time.
- Auto/Life Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with a discount if you purchase life insurance from them.
- Discount for Good Grades – A discount for being a good student can save 20 to 25%. This discount can apply up until you turn 25.
A little note about advertised discounts, many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. Just because it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, you won’t be that lucky. But any discount will help reduce the cost of coverage.
To choose insurance companies who offer auto insurance discounts in Indiana, click here.
Do I just need basic coverages?
When buying proper insurance coverage, there really is not a “perfect” insurance plan. Everyone’s needs are different so your insurance needs to address that. For instance, these questions might point out if your situation might need professional guidance.
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- Does coverage extend to a rental car in a foreign country?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
- Who is covered when they drive my vehicle?
If you’re not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, you may need to chat with an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, complete this form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area.
More information can be found on the website for the Indiana Department of Insurance through this link. Indiana drivers can read industry bulletins, learn about specific coverages, report car insurance fraud, and download brochures.
Affordable insurance is out there
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In many cases, an insured dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your aim should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at an affordable rate.
Lower-priced auto insurance is possible online as well as from independent agents in Fort Wayne, and you should compare price quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture. Some auto insurance companies don’t offer online price quotes and most of the time these regional insurance providers sell through independent agents.