Finding lower premiums on Fort Smith car insurance can be hard for consumers not familiar with buying insurance online. Drivers have so many choices that it can be a ton of work to compare prices in Fort Smith.
Components of your insurance rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that play a part in calculating car insurance rates. Knowing what impacts premium levels helps enable you to make changes that can help you get lower car insurance prices.
Shown below are some of the factors that factor into your rates.
- Safer cars cost less to insure – Cars with high safety ratings can get you lower premiums. Safe vehicles protect occupants better and any reduction in injury severity means lower claim amounts passed on to you as lower rates.
- The more you drive the more you pay – The higher the mileage driven each year the more you will pay for car insurance. Most insurance companies apply a rate determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars and trucks left parked in the garage get more affordable rates compared to those used for work or business. Make sure your car insurance declarations sheet is rated on the correct usage for each vehicle.
- Do you work long hours in a high stress job? – Did you know that where you work can have an impact on rates? Careers like real estate brokers, business owners and accountants tend to pay higher rates than average in part from stressful work requirements and lengthy work days. On the flip side, occupations such as farmers, athletes and performers have the lowest average rates.
- High performance equals high price – The make and model of the vehicle you drive makes a big difference in the rate you pay. Low performance passenger cars generally have the cheapest insurance rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- Don’t get talked into coverage you don’t need – There are many extra bells and whistles that can waste your money when buying car insurance. Insurance for vanishing deductibles, accident forgiveness and membership fees may be wasting your money. They may seem good when you first buy your policy, but your needs may have changed so eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Discounts for married couples – Having a wife or husband can actually save you money on your policy. Having a significant other usually means you are more mature and responsible and it’s statistically proven that drivers who are married are more cautious.
- With age comes lower rates – More mature drivers are more responsible, file fewer claims and are safer drivers. Youthful drivers tend to get distracted easily when driving therefore car insurance rates are much higher.
Take advantage of discounts
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but there could be available discounts that you may not know about. Some trigger automatically at the time of purchase, but some may not be applied and must be specifically requested before you get the savings.
- Paperless Signup – A few companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks just for signing your application digitally online.
- Drivers Education – Cut your cost by having your teen driver successfully complete driver’s ed class if offered at their school.
- Early Signing – Some companies give discounts for buying a policy before your current expiration date. This can save 10% or more.
- Life Insurance Discount – Larger companies have better rates if you take out auto and life insurance together.
- Employee of Federal Government – Simply working for the federal government may qualify you for a discount depending on your company.
- Drive Less and Save – Keeping the miles down can qualify you for discounted rates on garaged vehicles.
- Safe Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents can pay as much as 50% less than their less cautious counterparts.
A little note about advertised discounts, most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way. But any discount will cut your overall premium however.
To choose providers with the best car insurance discounts in Fort Smith, click here to view.
How to know if you need help
When it comes to choosing coverage, there isn’t really a best way to insure your cars. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
Here are some questions about coverages that might help in determining whether your personal situation would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- How much liability coverage do I need in Arkansas?
- Will my vehicle be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- Does my liability insurance cover pulling a trailer or camper?
- Who is covered when they drive my vehicle?
- Do I need medical payments coverage since I have good health insurance?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, complete this form.
More information can be read on the Arkansas Insurance Department website through this link. Arkansas drivers can report car insurance fraud, read consumer alerts, find out industry alerts, and download brochures.
Additional helpful sites include this site for car insurance information in Arkansas and this page for help finding agents in Fort Smith, AR.
A tidy conclusion
While you’re price shopping online, it’s very important that you do not buy poor coverage just to save money. There have been many situations where someone sacrificed liability limits or collision coverage only to discover later that it was a big error on their part. The ultimate goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at the best price while not skimping on critical coverages.
Consumers change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including extreme rates for teen drivers, questionable increases in premium, delays in responding to claim requests and even an unsatisfactory settlement offer. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch switching companies is less work than it seems.
You just learned a lot of ways to save on car insurance. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better your comparison will be. Drivers may discover the lowest premiums are with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising.