Sick and tired of scraping the payment together each month for car insurance? You’re in the same situation as many other drivers in Mississippi. Multiple car insurance companies compete to insure your vehicles, so it’s not easy to compare every company and get the best coverage at the lowest price
Smart Buyers can Save Money
Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. Understanding what controls the rates you pay enables informed choices that could result in big savings.
- Older drivers pay less – Teenage drivers in Mississippi are statistically proven to be careless and easily distracted when behind the wheel so car insurance rates are higher. Older insureds are more cautious drivers, tend to file fewer claims and are safer drivers.
- Choose a safe vehicle and save – Cars with high safety ratings tend to have better insurance rates. The safest vehicles result in less severe injuries and any reduction in injury severity means less money paid by your insurance company and more competitive rates for policyholders.
- Pay less if you’re married – Having a wife or husband can get you a discount on car insurance. It is viewed as being more mature and it’s statistically proven that drivers who are married are more cautious.
- High credit ratings translate to low rates – Credit history is a huge factor in determining your rates. Therefore, if your credit is not that good, you could be paying less to insure your by improving your rating. Drivers who have high credit ratings tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than drivers who have lower credit scores.
- Lower deductibles cost more – Deductibles for physical damage define the amount you are required to spend out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. Insurance for physical damage to your car, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, is used to repair damage to your car. Examples of covered claims would be running into the backend of another car, vandalism, or theft. The more expense you’re willing to pay, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Liability coverage is cheap – Your policy’s liability coverage is the protection when you are found liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Liability provides legal defense up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability insurance is quite affordable as compared to coverage for physical damage, so do not cut corners here.
- Do you qualify for a multi-policy discount? – The majority of car insurance companies will give a discount to customers who carry more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount you may still want to compare other company rates to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible. Consumers may find better rates by insuring with multiple companies.
Do you qualify for a discount?
Companies offering auto insurance don’t always publicize all available discounts very well, so we break down some of the more common and also the lesser-known discounts you could be receiving. If you don’t get every credit you deserve, you are throwing money away.
- Federal Government Employee – Simply working for the federal government could cut as much as 10% off with a few car insurance companies.
- College Student – Kids in college who attend school more than 100 miles from home and do not have a car may qualify for this discount.
- Own a Home – Simply owning a home may trigger a car insurance policy discount because of the fact that having a home requires personal responsibility.
- Service Members Pay Less – Having a family member in the military could be rewarded with lower premiums.
- Multiple Cars – Buying coverage for all your vehicles on one policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Life Insurance Discount – Larger companies have lower rates if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- Drivers Education – Require your teen driver to enroll in driver’s education in school.
- Seat Belts Save – Drivers who require all occupants to buckle their seat belts can save up to 15% off your medical payments premium.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Anti-theft and alarm systems are stolen less frequently and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
Keep in mind that most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. So when it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, it just doesn’t work that way.
To choose companies with discount car insurance rates in Mississippi, follow this link.
What coverages do I need?
When it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a perfect coverage plan. Every situation is different so your insurance should reflect that For example, these questions might point out whether your personal situation might need professional guidance.
- Does my insurance cover a custom paint job?
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Am I covered by my employer’s commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- What if I don’t agree with a claim settlement offer?
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but one or more may apply to you then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Learn more today
More detailed Mississippi car insurance information can be found at the Mississippi Insurance Department website. Mississippi consumers can read industry bulletins, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, find disaster information, and discover disciplinary actions.
These articles may also be worth reading.
We’ve covered quite a bit of information on how to reduce car insurance prices online. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even find the lowest priced car insurance comes from a smaller regional carrier. Some small companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost as compared to the big name companies such as Progressive and GEICO.
Cost effective car insurance can be purchased both online and with local Madison insurance agents, so you should compare both to have the best selection. Some insurance providers do not offer the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these regional insurance providers sell through independent agents.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s a bad idea to reduce coverage to reduce premium. In many instances, an insured cut liability coverage limits only to discover later they didn’t have enough coverage. The ultimate goal is to get the best coverage possible at a price you can afford.