Finding better rates for Sheboygan car insurance can be a challenge for consumers not familiar with comparing rates online. There are so many options available that it can be a ton of work to find the best price in Sheboygan.
Finding affordable coverage in Sheboygan is quite easy. If you currently have a car insurance policy, you stand a good chance to be able to lower your premiums substantially using this strategy. But Wisconsin car owners need to have an understanding of how companies determine prices and apply this information to your search.
Good Decisions Result in Lower Rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the elements that go into determining the price you pay for car insurance. Having a good understanding of what determines base rates allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to big savings.
Listed below are a few of the “ingredients” companies use to determine prices.
- Discounts for married couples – Being married can get you a discount on your car insurance policy. It is viewed as being more mature than a single person and it’s proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Please use or commuting – The more you drive in a year’s time the higher your rate. Most insurance companies price each vehicle’s coverage determined by how the vehicle is used. Vehicles that are left in the garage qualify for better rates compared to those used for work or business. Verify your car insurance policy properly reflects the correct driver usage.
- Bad driving skills means higher rates – A bad driving record impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Even one ticket can boost insurance rates by as much as thirty percent. Careful drivers get better rates than people who have multiple driving citations. If you have severe violations such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may find they need to file a SR-22 with their state DMV in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- Discounts for multiple policies – Some companies will award you with lower prices to policyholders who buy several policies from them such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Discounts can amount to anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. Even with this discount, you may still want to comparison shop to make sure you are getting the best deal.
- Men are more aggressive – Statistics show women tend to be less risk to insure than men. Now that doesn’t mean women are BETTER drivers than men. Women and men have accidents in similar numbers, but the men tend to have more serious accidents. Men also statistically get cited for more serious violations such as reckless driving.
- Do you need those extra coverages? – There are a lot of extra bells and whistles that you can get tricked into buying on your policy. Things like vanishing deductibles, accidental death and additional equipment coverage may be costing you every month. These coverages may sound good when you first buy your policy, but now you might not need them so remove them from your policy.
- Your stress level may be raising your rates – Did you know your car insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Occupations like real estate brokers, architects and accountants have higher rates than average in part from stressful work requirements and lengthy work days. On the flip side, jobs such as scientists, athletes and homemakers get better rates.
- Always keep insurance in force – Allowing your car insurance policy to lapse is a sure-fire way to pay more for car insurance. Not only will rates go up, failure to provide proof of insurance can result in a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.You may have to file a SR-22 with the Wisconsin motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
Save money by taking advantage of these discounts
Car insurance companies do not advertise all available discounts very clearly, so we break down both well-publicized and also the lesser-known savings tricks you should be using.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with the same company you could get a discount of 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can pay as much as 50% less than their less cautious counterparts.
- Senior Citizens – If you’re over the age of 55, you may receive better car insurance rates.
- Early Signing – Some companies give discounts for buying a policy prior to your current policy expiration. This can save 10% or more.
- Organization Discounts – Participating in a qualifying organization may earn a discount when shopping for car insurance.
- Defensive Driver – Completing a course in driver safety could possibly earn you a 5% discount if you qualify.
- Accident Waiver – Some insurance companies will allow you to have one accident before raising your premiums so long as you haven’t had any claims prior to the accident.
As a disclaimer on discounts, many deductions do not apply the the whole policy. Most only cut specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like adding up those discounts means a free policy, it doesn’t quite work that way.
For a list of companies offering car insurance discounts in Wisconsin, follow this link.
When should I use an insurance agent?
When buying proper insurance coverage, there really is not a perfect coverage plan. Every insured’s situation is different.
Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover if you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
- What should my uninsured motorist coverage limits be in Wisconsin?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required Wisconsin minimum liability coverage?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- What companies insure drivers after a DUI or DWI?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in Sheboygan?
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
If you’re not sure about those questions, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
Additional detailed information is located at the Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance website. Wisconsin consumers can read industry bulletins, read consumer alerts, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, and find disaster information.
What is YOUR best insurance company?
You just learned a lot of information how to reduce car insurance prices online. The most important thing to understand is the more price quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. Consumers could even find that the most savings is with a smaller regional carrier.
Affordable car insurance can be found both online in addition to many Sheboygan insurance agents, and you need to price shop both in order to have the best chance of saving money. There are still a few companies who do not provide online quoting and many times these regional insurance providers only sell through independent insurance agents.
Insureds switch companies for a variety of reasons including lack of trust in their agent, unfair underwriting practices, delays in paying claims and being labeled a high risk driver. No matter why you want to switch, finding the right car insurance provider is not as hard as you think.