Saving money on Rexburg auto insurance can be a challenge for people who are new to shopping for insurance online. There are so many companies to choose from that it can quickly become a real hassle to find lower rates in Rexburg.
Finding affordable coverage in Rexburg is not rocket science. Just about anyone who is required by state law to have auto insurance most likely will be able to save money. Although Idaho vehicle owners do need to learn the way insurance companies price online insurance and take advantage of how the system works.
Save Money with These Tips
Consumers need to have an understanding of the rating factors that play a part in calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. Knowing what influences your rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in much lower annual insurance costs.
- Car features impact rates – Driving a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can help lower your rates. Theft prevention features such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all hinder your car from being stolen.
- Don’t buy coverages you don’t need – There are many extra bells and whistles you can purchase on your policy. Coverages for personal injury protection, better glass coverage and motor club memberships are some examples. These may sound like a good investment when talking to your agent, but if you don’t need them eliminate them to save money.
- Your spouse saves you money – Being married can get you a discount on your auto insurance policy. Marriage usually means you are more responsible and it’s statistically proven that drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Type of vehicle determines base rates – The performance of the car you are buying insurance for makes a big difference in how high your rates are. The cheapest insurance rates are generally reserved for lower performance four cylinder passenger cars, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- Claim-free discounts can add up – If you are a frequent claim filer, you can look forward to higher rates. Car insurance companies in Idaho give discounts to insureds who file claims infrequently. Insurance coverage is intended for larger claims.
- Never let your coverage lapse – Letting your insurance expire will be a sure-fire way to trigger a rate increase. Not only will you pay more, failure to provide proof of insurance will get you a steep fine or even jail time.You may then be required to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Idaho motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
- Safe vehicles cost less to insure – Vehicles with good safety scores can get you lower premiums. These vehicles have better occupant injury protection and any reduction in injury severity means less money paid by your insurance company and thus lower rates.
- Mature drivers pay less – Older insureds are more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents and receive fewer citations. Teenage drivers are statistically proven to be more careless when behind the wheel and because of this, their auto insurance rates are much higher.
Verify you’re getting all your discounts
Companies offering auto insurance don’t necessarily list all available discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we took the time to find both the well known and also the lesser-known discounts you could be receiving.
- Homeowners Discount – Being a homeowner can help you save on auto insurance because owning a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- No Charge for an Accident – Certain companies will allow you to have one accident without raising rates if you are claim-free for a certain period of time.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Vehicles with anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- New Vehicle Savings – Adding a new car to your policy is cheaper due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- Driver Safety – Completing a course teaching defensive driving skills can save you 5% or more depending on where you live.
- Distant Student – Children living away from home attending college without a vehicle on campus can receive lower rates.
Consumers should know that most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. Most only reduce individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, you’re out of luck.
More detailed Idaho auto insurance information is located at the Idaho Department of Insurance website. Idaho drivers can discover disciplinary actions, learn about insurance regulations, and report car insurance fraud.
Quote more, save more
Consumers change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as extreme rates for teen drivers, denial of a claim, policy non-renewal and even high prices. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding a new company can be pretty painless.
Low-cost auto insurance can be bought both online as well as from independent agents in Rexburg, and you need to price shop both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance companies don’t offer online price quotes and usually these small insurance companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
We just covered many ways to save on auto insurance. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may even discover the best prices are with some of the lesser-known companies.