Shopping online for Paducah car insurance can be difficult if you’ve never compared online quotes. But don’t be discouraged because finding affordable coverage online is easier than you think.
It is always a good idea to compare rates quite often since insurance rates are constantly changing. If you had the best deal on your last policy you may be paying too much now. There is a lot of bad advice regarding car insurance on the web, but with this article, you’re going to get some of the best ways to quit paying high car insurance rates.
Rate influencing factors
Consumers need to have an understanding of the rating factors that go into determining the rates you pay for car insurance. Understanding what influences your rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with big savings.
Listed below are a partial list of the pieces used by your company to calculate rates.
- Don’t sacrifice liability coverage – Your policy’s liability coverage is the coverage that protects you if ever a court rules you are at fault for personal injury or accident damage. It provides for a legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. This coverage is very inexpensive as compared to coverage for physical damage, so do not skimp.
- What type of vehicle do you drive? – The performance of the car you drive makes a substantial difference in how high your rates are. The lowest base rates are generally reserved for lower performance four cylinder passenger vehicles, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- Claim-free discounts can add up – If you are a frequent claim filer, you can expect higher rates. Car insurance companies in Kentucky provide better rates to people who do not file claims often. Insurance coverage is intended for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Discounts for married couples – Getting married can actually save you money on your car insurance policy. It is viewed as being more responsible and it’s proven that drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Men pay higher rates – Statistics show that women are safer drivers than men. Now that doesn’t mean women are better drivers. Women and men tend to get into accidents in similar numbers, but the male of the species tend to have more serious accidents. Men also tend to have more aggressive citations like reckless driving and DUI.
- Your car insurance rates can be influenced by your job – Did you know your job can affect your rates? Occupations such as lawyers, business owners and accountants tend to pay higher rates than average because of stressful work requirements and long work days. On the flip side, occupations like pilots, athletes and homemakers have the lowest average rates.
- Credit scores impact car insurance rates – A driver’s credit rating is a large factor in your rate calculation. Drivers with good credit tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records as compared to drivers with poor credit. If your credit history can use some improvement, you could save money insuring your by improving your credit score.
- Do you need those extra coverages? – There are a lot of additional coverages that you can get tricked into buying if you aren’t careful. Coverages for vanishing deductibles, accidental death and term life insurance are some examples. These coverages may sound good at first, but if they’re wasting money eliminate them to save money.
Save money by taking advantage of these discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but companies offer discounts to help bring down the price. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at the time of purchase, but lesser-known reductions have to be asked about prior to getting the savings. If you don’t get every credit you deserve, you’re paying more than you need to.
- College Student – Children living away from home attending college and do not have a car can receive lower rates.
- Save over 55 – Older drivers may receive a discount up to 10%.
- Anti-theft System – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems help deter theft and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Life Insurance Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with a break if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking a course teaching defensive driving skills could cut 5% off your bill and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Payment Method – If paying your policy premium upfront instead of making monthly payments you can actually save on your bill.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying insurance for more than one vehicle on the same car insurance policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Drive Less and Save – Low mileage vehicles can earn lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Employee of Federal Government – Active or retired federal employment may qualify you for a discount with select insurance companies.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Vehicles with factory air bags can receive discounts of up to 25% or more.
It’s important to note that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. So when the math indicates you would end up receiving a 100% discount, companies wouldn’t make money that way. But any discount will help reduce your overall premium however.
When should I use an insurance agent?
When it comes to buying coverage, there is no perfect coverage plan. Everyone’s situation is unique.
For instance, these questions may help you determine whether you would benefit from professional advice.
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- How many claims can I have before being cancelled?
- What happens if I owe more than my vehicle is worth?
- Am I covered when driving in Canada or Mexico?
- Do I need medical payments coverage since I have good health insurance?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can help protect your family.
Learn more about car insurance in Kentucky
Much more information about car insurance in Kentucky is located on the Kentucky Department of Insurance website located here. Consumers can read consumer alerts, report car insurance fraud, and find disaster information.
Other useful links include QuoteClickInsure.com and this page on QuoteClickInsure.com.
Smart consumers save more
Drivers leave their current company for a variety of reasons including delays in responding to claim requests, high prices, policy non-renewal and even not issuing a premium refund. Whatever your reason, finding the right car insurance provider is easier than you think.
When trying to cut insurance costs, don’t be tempted to buy less coverage just to save a little money. In too many instances, someone sacrificed uninsured motorist or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your focus should be to buy enough coverage for the lowest price while not skimping on critical coverages.
Budget-conscious car insurance is possible from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Paducah agents, so you should compare both to have the best selection. There are still a few companies who may not provide online price quotes and these small insurance companies work with independent agents.