Having to pay for overpriced car insurance can dwindle your personal savings and put the squeeze on your family’s finances. Comparing price quotes is a smart way to cut your insurance bill. Insurance companies such as State Farm, Farmers Insurance, GEICO and Allstate continually hit you with catchy ads and it can be hard to see past the corporate glitz and do the work needed to find the best deal.
Bellingham Car Insurance Comparisons
Getting a lower price on insurance doesn’t have to be difficult. All you need to do is invest a few minutes comparing rate quotes online with multiple companies. This can be done in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- One of the simplest ways to get quotes for comparison is to use a rate comparison form like this one (opens in new window). This easy form eliminates the need for multiple quote forms to each individual car insurance company. One simple form gets you coverage quotes direct from many companies.
- A less efficient way to get comparison quotes is to manually visit the website for each individual company and fill out their own quote form. For instance, we’ll assume you want to compare Liberty Mutual, Safeco and GMAC. To get rate quotes you would need to visit each site to input your insurance information, which is why the first method is more popular. For a handy list of car insurance company links in Bellingham, click here.
- The least efficient way of comparing rate quotes is to waste gas driving to local Bellingham insurance agencies. The internet has reduced the need for local agents unless you want the professional guidance that only a license agent can provide. You can, however, comparison shop online but buy from a local insurance agent. We’ll cover that shortly.
However you get your quotes, double check that you are using apples-to-apples coverages and limits for each comparison quote. If you use unequal deductibles or liability limits it will be very difficult to make an equal comparison in Bellingham.
Discounts are available to cut your rates
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but companies offer discounts to help offset the cost. Certain discounts will be applied when you purchase, but less common discounts must be requested specifically before being credited. If you’re not getting every credit you qualify for, you are paying more than you should be.
- No Charge for an Accident – A few companies allow you one accident before raising your premiums as long as you don’t have any claims for a certain period of time.
- Resident Student – Kids in college who are attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Early Switch Discount – Select companies give a discount for switching to them before your current expiration date. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Save over 55 – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may qualify for better car insurance rates.
- Multiple Policy Discount – When you combine your home and auto insurance with the same insurance company you could get a discount of 10% to 20% off each policy.
Keep in mind that most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, car insurance companies aren’t that generous. Any amount of discount will help reduce the cost of coverage.
For a list of insurance companies who offer car insurance discounts in Washington, follow this link.
Why some people pay less for insurance in Bellingham
Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that help determine car insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively controls the rates you pay allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to lower car insurance prices.
- High numbers of claims are not good – If you file claims often, you can expect either higher rates or even cancellation. Car insurance companies in Washington award cheaper rates to policyholders who file claims infrequently. Car insurance is intended for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Lower deductibles cost more – Physical damage deductibles represent how much money you are required to spend out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. Physical damage insurance, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, covers damage that occurs to your car. A few examples of covered claims are colliding with a building, vandalism, and windstorm damage. The more you have to pay, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Having a spouse can save you money – Having a wife or husband can actually save you money on your policy. Having a significant other means you’re more mature and responsible and statistics show married couples file fewer claims.
- Type of vehicle determines base rates – The type of car you drive makes a significant difference in how high your rates are. The lowest rates are generally reserved for economy passenger vehicles, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
- Don’t let your coverage lapse – Having an insurance coverage lapse will be a sure-fire way to increase your car insurance rates. And not only will your rates increase, getting caught without coverage will get you a revoked license or a big fine.
- Please use or commuting – Driving more miles in a year the higher your rates will be. Almost all companies price each vehicle’s coverage determined by how the vehicle is used. Vehicles left parked in the garage receive lower rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Make sure your car insurance coverage properly reflects the proper vehicle usage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
Price shop online but buy from a local Bellingham agent
Some consumers would prefer to buy from a licensed agent. Agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help file insurance claims. The biggest benefit of price shopping on the web is you may find lower rates but still work with a licensed agent. Supporting local businesses is definitely important in Bellingham.
By using this simple form, your insurance data gets sent to companies in Bellingham who will compete for your insurance coverage. You won’t need to leave your computer due to the fact that quote results will go straight to your inbox. It doesn’t get any easier!
If you prefer to select a specific agent in Bellingham, click here to link.
Picking an insurer needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price. Any agent should be forthright in answering these questions:
- How are they compensated?
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
After getting good answers to your questions and a low price estimate, most likely you have located an insurer that is a good match to adequately provide car insurance.
Additional car insurance information is available on the website for the Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner through this link. Visitors are able to file complaints about a company, read consumer alerts, discover disciplinary actions, and read enforcement actions against agents and companies.
Quote often and quote early
When you buy insurance online, do not reduce needed coverages to save money. In too many instances, an insured dropped full coverage and found out when filing a claim that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The aim is to get the best coverage possible at the best price while still protecting your assets.
Low-cost car insurance is possible on the web in addition to many Bellingham insurance agents, so compare prices from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance companies do not provide you the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these small insurance companies sell through independent agents.